Ways To Get Out Of Jail If You Don't Have The Cash You Need

Law Blog

If you were arrested for a major crime and are currently in jail, you might have the chance to get out of jail by paying the bail amount set by the court. Unfortunately, courts often set high bail amounts for alleged criminals, and many of these individuals do not have the money needed to pay their bail amounts to get released. If you are in this position, here are the main options you have if you want to get out of jail.

Talk to Your Family Members

The first option you have is to talk to the people closest to you to see if they could help. If your bail is set at $10,000, you would need $10,000 to get out of jail. This money will eventually be returned to you if you follow through with everything the court instructs you to do, but it will be a while before you get it. If your friends and family members can come up with the money, and if they are willing to, they could bring the money to the jail to bail you out. As soon as they pay the bail money and sign the documents, the jail will release you.

Use a Bail Bond Company

A second option you could use involves the use of a bail bond company. A bail bond is something you can purchase for 10% of the bail amount. In this case, you would need to pay $1,000 to buy a bail bond. While this covers 10% of the bail money you need, there are several options you could use for the remaining 90%.

The first option is to offer collateral for the 90%, or $9,000. If you own assets, such as a car, boat, RV, or jewelry, you could give those to the bail bond company to hold as the collateral for the $9,000. If you can do this, the bail bond company would pay the other $9,000 for you, and you would have a way out of jail.

If you do not have anything to use as collateral, you could ask your friends and family members if they would be willing to put assets up as collateral for you. If, for example, your parents have a home that has a lot of equity in it, they could use their home as collateral to bail you out of jail. Unfortunately, though, when people offer collateral or cash to bail someone out of jail, there are risks. They take the risk of losing the money or asset they offered, because they can only get it back if the person in jail does exactly what the court tells him or her to do. Because of this, it is often hard to find a person who is willing to do this.

There is one other way to use a bail bond to get out of jail, though, which involves finding a company that is willing to front the money with just a signature. If you sign the bail bond and agree to pay the company the other $9,000, you will have to pay it if you fail to abide by the court's rules. In other words, if you fail to show up to your court hearing and lose the bail money, you will owe this money out of your pocket. You can avoid owing the money by simply following through with the rules you are given.

If you need to get out of jail, these are the options you could use. If you would like to learn more about bail bonds, contact a company like A M Bail Bonds


27 June 2018

injured at work? what do you do now?

Were you injured at work and fighting to get the workers compensation that you have paid into each year? Sometimes, getting those payments can be very difficult. What do you do when an employer fights the claim? Do you need a lawyer to help you through the process? How will you pay for a lawyer if you cannot even pay your electric bill? You are probably as lost as I was when I went through the process. Fortunately, you can learn from my experience with the system and find the answers to many of the questions that you have about filing a workers comp claim and fighting the system when it is denied.